Well, for starters, I am thankful for each and everyone of YOU – co-creators of Vernon Community School.
I hope you enjoyed a pause in life’s busyness – I rode the Okanagan Rail Trail and watched Kokanee spawning with my son.
FOR YOUR INFORMATION:
1. EMOTIONAL REGULATION:
I also had the privilege of attending the first weekend of Dr. Kevin Miller’s Mind Body Attunement Certification course at Blackrock Counselling Centre in Vernon (friday – sunday). It is providing me with a deeper understanding of how to support students pay closer attention to their body sensations – particularly during challenging or upsetting situations – and will give me practical skills overtime of how to help the students work with and heal emotional triggers (this varies from person to person). The following information is from Dr. Miller’s website (http://www.drkevinmiller.ca/Drkevinmiller.html):
Mind-Body Attunement Therapy ® helps establish emotional regulation which reduces suffering and enhances well-being by working directly with the physiological elements of relational trauma stored in the nervous system. Interventions access deeply held anger, sadness and fear and gently discharge the energy by generating a sense of calm and paying attention to the sensory changes in the bodies.
Mind-Body Attunement therapy ® is applicable to a wide range of psychological, emotional and life issues including:
• Developmental difficulties including Abuse, Abandonment
• Difficulties in relationships or relating to others including Loss of trust, Incompatibility, Drifting apart, Affairs, Breakdown, Rows, Separation
• Losses including Bereavement, Redundancy, Separation
• Emotional dysregulation including Anxiety, Panic attacks, Depression
• Low self-esteem, Lack of confidence, Insecurity
• Life stresses including Work pressure, Domestic violence
• Impulse control difficulties including Addiction, Eating disorders, Anger or rage
**I am also able to refer students to Dr. Kevin Miller at Vernon Child and Youth Mental Health. There is no cost. His therapy style is gentle and supportive, and mind body attunement therapy is becoming more mainstream as the healing found there is transformative. I encourage you to consider this if your child is struggling with any of the life issues mentioned above. I am happy to facilitate the initial contact with Dr. Kevin Miller. Just let me know. We can also figure out transportation during the school day if necessary.**
We are determined to be online with Freshgrade by Friday … come hell or high water ! We will be doing some creative problem solving to ensure this happens …
3. HALLOWEEN PARTY:
Many thanks to Shae Vance for taking this up. She has formed a committee and they have some plans …
VCS Halloween Party
Monday, Oct. 31 from 12:30-3:00
Choice: dance or view a movie
Costumes are welcome (no weapons or violent costumes)
Please bring Halloween themed potluck items (sweet or savoury)
4. STUDENT VOICE:
In the co-creative process, the teachers have noticed that they need student voice at their planning meetings. We invited nominations and had many. Corbin, Matt & Sekoija received the most votes. We congratulate them and invite the students to share their questions, comments, feedback and concerns with Corbin, Matt & Sekoija so we can continue to attend to the health of our ecology of learning & growth. Thank you to all the nominees.
5. THIS WEEK (I’m sure I’m missing other mentors … so sorry !):
– mentors – Laurie Moore (am) & Susan Guttridge (am) – both offering sessions related to understanding and regulating emotions
– VCSplorations (Burning Question or Self Study Inquiries)
– Passion Development
– Woodwork with Dougler (all day)
– Mentor – Andrea (am)
– CC Studies (am)
– continuation with VCSplorations (Burning Question or Self Study Inquiries)
– Passion Development
THURSDAY: School ends at 1:00 because of Fulton’s Interview Schedule. VCS teachers will be meeting to look at the recent BEE assessments and review each student’s Learning Plan
– mentor – Carmen (am) – felting and fibre arts
– mentor – Bryan Wilson (pm) – taking apart computers and learning the parts
– continuation with VCSplorations (Burning Question or Self Study Inquiries)– Passion Development
FRIDAY: School ends at 1:00 because of Fulton’s Interview Schedule. VCS teachers will be meeting to look at the recent BEE assessments and review each student’s Learning Plan
– Outdoor School will be from 8:30 – 1:00.
– CC Studies (am)
Here’s to a great week !
K, M, A & D